Keeping your financial information secure is more important than ever. Identity theft has become a prevalent crime with devastating effects. Protect yourself from becoming the next victim with the following steps to keep your identity safe.
- Keep all identifying information in a secure place in your home. Never carry Social Security cards or other important documents such as passports or birth certificates in your purse or wallet.
- Double-check monthly statements to ensure they match your records.
- Shred all personal and financial information before discarding it.
- Do not share account numbers or other personal financial information over the telephone or Internet unless you initiated the interaction.
- Review your credit report annually. You are entitled to a free credit report each year from one of the three main credit reporting bureaus.
Protect your social security number. If you are a victim of identify theft or suspect that it has occurred, complete an ID Theft Affidavit at the Federal Trade Commission Web site.
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013